Labour's economic mismanagement cost us dear. Here's why:
- Gordon Brown didn't fix the roof while the sun was shining. After 15 years of expansion, the public finances were worse than in the 1970s. In 2012 the Government borrowed some £180billion. It was totally unaffordable, the economics of the madhouse.
- Labour's crazy borrowing not only mortgaged our kids' future - it has slowed recovery making it harder for people to find a job, let alone get a pay rise.
- Tax went up £10,000 a year per household and Council Tax doubled. Where did it all go? We certainly didn't get our fair share!
- Locally the only thing to change in 13 years of Labour rule was that we lost a hospital. Labour not only axed Buckland but the A2 and other road upgrades were also chopped. Labour allowed local port jobs to be privatised then they started to sell off the Port itself. Real local wages were down £1000 in 5 years. Labour's mess has made it even harder to get the investment we need for our community.
Be better off with Charlie Elphicke and the Conservatives Together we can rebuild our economy locally and nationally. Charlie's vision:
- Tough times need tough decisions. The priority has been paying back Gordon Brown's extreme borrowing ahead of tax cuts.
- Care and compassion. With measures to help the unemployed find jobs and hard pressed home owners weather Labour's downturn with low interest rates
- Economic recovery plan. To tackle long term worklessness, with stronger academy schools and vocational skills, making Britain more competitive for businesses.
- Lower taxes. When the economy grows again, growth will allow taxes to be reduced while preventing Labour's planned carnage of public services by rethinking how services can be provided to we can get more for less.
- Our fair share. To stop Labour's port privatisation plans, get more business to move in locally and with the Regional Growth Fund support the regeneration plans of Conservative controlled Dover Council. None of this is easy given the dire state of things - but we are doing our level best.